15 January, 2011

Inter-Faith Group :- Report

BRIEF REPORT ON A MEETING OF WIFG

I recently attended a meeting held by the Wolverhampton Inter-Faith Group  ( WIFG) and here are a few notes,

Sorry I find it very difficult from a memory point of view to write up after an event, but next time we go I will make some notes and do a short write up straight afterwards. I struggle with short term memory. During a break I was chatting with a man from the Sikh religion and we were discussing the shortages on this world. I asked if anyone had ever calculated how much each of us in the west would need to do to reduce our global footprint to make a significant difference. He replied 10% is all that it takes to make a difference. What a simple reply and how achievable. I did not need to know how he computed this, but felt any goal was better than no goal.

So I am staring to walk short distances instead of go in my car, like to Relate or into Wolverhampton. I have still needed warm clothes on in my house during the winter, so the temperature for the house was not hot, and we have heated one main room well by means of a log burning fire. Starting to look at how we eat, and making soups out of left overs. I’m looking forward to us getting the compost recycling bins to kick start my interest in this again. What is noticeable, is that all this has helped me to slow down and notice my surroundings and to connect with people who I meet.

Finding the pace of life that is the right balance for me is now a more conscious process, although as usual I am often led away from this by financial necessities.

Hope this finds you well. We have all had a lovely Christmas break and have enjoyed the winter snow even though it has been treacherous at times, and adventurous. Finally details of two WIFG Events follow.

Firstly, HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL DAY SERVICE

On Thursday 27th January 2011 in conjunction with Wolverhampton City Council, a service will take place at at the War Memorial between St. Peter’s Church and the Civic Centre. This is to commemorate the millions of Jews and other minority groups who were killed by the Nazis in the 2nd world war, and also victims of genocide in other places such as Cambodia, and the Balkans. This year’s theme is, Untold Stories, in which we will heart the testimony of survivors and eye witnesses of these atrocities. Afterwards, over refreshments in the Mayor’s Parlour, we will be able to sign a declaration of commitment to remember the Holocaust and fight against the evils of anti-semitism and racism in the future.


Secondly, PRAYERS FOR PEACE

On Sunday 30th January at in St. Peter’s Collegiate Church our annual service of prayers and readings from each of the main faiths represented in our City will take place.  The theme this year is ‘Peace that Passes Understanding’, which emphasizes the need to ground our common desires for peace in the mystery of God. Only when our own passions are stilled can we recognize the power of divine love which is the basis of all our efforts to achieve peace. At the end of the service we can meet our neighbours from other faiths over light refreshments.

Monica Evans
ISA Rep on WIFG

No comments:

Post a Comment